When you use the New Project dialog to start a new VPME Multilingual application, you have the opportunity to select the languages that you want in your new application. When your starter application is created, Visual ProMatrix will add records to the Languages, Message Translations and String Translations tables for the languages you select.
If you later want to include an additional language in your application, use the Language Builder to add it.
Ø To add a language to a VPME Multilingual application
1. Language Builder: Select Language Builder on the VPME Tools menu. VPME displays the Language Builder.
2. Create Language Record: Click the New button on the Form Toolbar to create a Language record for the language you are adding.
3. Enter Language ID: In the ID field enter a language ID for the language you are adding. You may enter up to three characters. For example, for Dutch you might enter “DUT”.
4. Enter Language Description: In the Description field enter a description for the language you are adding.
5. Enter Comments: If you wish, enter comments in the Comments box.
6. Save: Click the Save button on the Form Toolbar to save your new Language record. A new language record is added to SVPMLanguages.dbf.
Tip – Message and String Translations: If VPME contains New Project Message (SVPMMessageTranslations.dbf) and String (SVPMStringTranslations.dbf) Translation templates for the language you are adding, the Language Builder will add the New Project Message and String Translation template records to the application’s Message (SVPMMessageTranslations.dbf) and String (SVPMStringTranslations.dbf) Translations tables.
Adding Languages with the Language Manager
You can also use an application’s Language Manager to add a language to an application. However, if VPME contains New Project Message and String Translation templates for the language you are adding, the Language Manager will not add the New Project Message and String Translation template records to the application’s Message and String Translations tables. The reason for this is that the Language Manager is designed to run independently of Visual ProMatrix. When an application is run independently of VPM, the New Project template tables wouldn’t be available to the Language Manager.
Before you use the new Language and its translations, you will want to visit the Properties page on the Language Builder to set up the language properties. To learn how to set up:
· Date Properties: Go to Setting Language Date Properties.
· Currency Properties: Go to Setting Language Currency Properties.
· Translate Properties: Go to Selecting Application Elements to Translate.
· Add Missing Strings Properties: Go to Add Missing String Records