Controls Security allows the system supervisor to enable and disable controls on forms by user.
Set Up Controls Security: Before you can use Controls Security in an application, you must set up Controls Security for the application. See Setting Up Controls Security.
Because Controls Security is assigned to individual users, Controls Security is disabled if User Access Security is turned off.
Tip: Distribute your applications with Controls Security turned off. This is done because users and their passwords must be set up and control permissions must be assigned before Controls Security is turned on through the Admin Tools form.
When a new user is added on the Users form, the user does not have permissions for any controls included in Controls Security. You must assign control permissions to the new user.
You can assign Controls Security permissions to users in two ways:
· Individual Permissions: You can assign control permissions to a user on an individual basis through the Control Individual button on the Users form.
· Display the user’s record on the Users form.
· Click the Control Individual button on the Users form. VPM Enterprise displays the Control Permissions dialog.
· Follow the instructions in the “Control Permissions Dialog” section below to assign individual permissions.
· Group Permissions: You can assign a user to the control permissions that have already been assigned to a group of users.
· Display the user’s record on the Users form.
· Enter the code of the Control Permission Group to which the user should belong in the Control Group field. With the cursor on the Control Group field, press F2 or right-click on the field and select Picklist from the shortcut menu to see a list of the control permission groups that you have set up.
· Follow the instructions in the “Control Permission Groups Dialog” and “Control Permissions Dialog” sections below to set up control permission groups and assign group permissions.
Control Permission Groups Dialog
If a group of users will have the same permissions, you can create a control permissions group and assign permissions to the group. Then, users can simply be assigned to this group instead of having to assign permissions to users individually.
You reach the Control Permission Groups dialog from the Admin - Security menu.
If you want to find a specific Control Permission Group, enter the Control Group code in the Find form and click OK. Otherwise, click OK and the first Control Permission Group record in order by Group Code will be displayed.
Click the New toolbar button to add a record for a new Control Permission Group. The fields and button on the Control Permission Groups dialog are described below.
· Group Code: A three character code to identify the group.
· Description: A descriptive title for the group.
· Comments: A place for you to describe the group.
· Permissions: Click the Permissions button to bring up the Control Permissions dialog to assign permissions to the group. See the next section.
Control Permissions Dialog
You use the Control Permissions dialog to assign control permissions to individuals and groups. You can reach this dialog from:
· The Control Individual button on the Users form when you are assigning permissions for an individual.
· The Permissions button on the Control Permission Groups dialog when you are assigning permissions for a group.
The Control Permissions dialog lists the captions of an application’s forms with Controls Security in a treeview display. Expanding a form node displays a list of the form’s controls for which permission can be granted.
Permission Status: To the right of each control is the permission status. A blank means that the user or group is granted permission to access the control. An “(x)” means that the user or group is denied access to the control. By default, all controls are excluded when the Control Permissions dialog is first accessed for a group or individual.
The buttons on the Control Permissions dialog are described below.
· Permission – Grant / Deny (x): Click on the Grant option button to grant access to a control. Click on the Deny option button to deny access to a control. Double-click on a control to toggle its access permission.
· Grant to All / Deny to All: Clicking the Grant to All or Deny to All buttons changes the status of all permissions in all forms to “granted” or “denied”, respectively.
· Copy Permissions: Clicking the Copy Permissions button brings up the Copy Permissions dialog where you can copy the permissions assigned to a user or group and make them the permissions of the current user or group. See the next section.
· OK: When you click OK, a record is added to the security table, SVPMSecurityData, for each control for which permission has been granted.
Copy Permissions Dialog
The Copy Permissions dialog allows you to assign the permissions of a selected user or group to the current user or group.
· Copy From User / Group: Click on the User option button if you want to copy the permissions of a User. Click on the Group option button if you want to copy the permissions of a group.
· Users List: When the User option button is selected, the Users list is enabled. Highlight the user whose permissions you want to copy.
· Groups List: When the Group option button is selected, the Groups list is enabled. Highlight the group whose permissions you want to copy.
· Copy: Click Copy to copy the selected permissions to the Control Permissions dialog.