When you create a report with the Report Builder or Report Manager, you first click the New button to add the report’s name to the Reports list. Then, you click the Editor button to use the Report Editor to construct the report.
Ø To create a report with the Report Builder/Manager
1. New: Click New on the Report Builder/Manager. VPME displays the New Report/Label dialog. Enter a file name for the report. Click OK.
2. Report Editor: Select the new report on the Report Builder/Manager. Click Edit on the Report Builder/Manager. VPM Enterprise displays the Report Editor dialog. Enter a title for the report in the Title field.
· Translate Report Fonts: Check the Translate Report Fonts check box to turn on font localization for a report or label. See the “How to Localize Report Fonts” section in the Creating a Multilingual Application chapter.
3. New Report Dialog: Click the Edit button. ProMatrix displays the New Report dialog if you are creating a new report.
The New Report dialog lets you choose one of two options:
Blank: Open the FoxPro Report Writer with a blank report.
Copy: Copy an existing report.
The steps below assume you choose to start with a blank report.
4. Visual FoxPro Report Writer: Click OK on the New Report dialog. VPM Enterprise displays the Visual FoxPro Report Writer.
At this point, you create your report. If you need help with the Visual FoxPro Report Writer, see your Visual FoxPro online Help file.
Tip - Remote Matching Views: The LocalToRemote method of the application object should be called from the BeforeOpenTables method of the Data Environment of reports that will use matching remote views. The LocalToRemote method finds each view cursor in the Data Environment and determines if the local or matching remote view should be used. If you will be using matching remote views, the BeforeOpenTables event should contain the following code:
5. Leaving the Report Writer: When you’re ready to leave the Visual FoxPro Report Writer, click the close box. Save your changes. VPM Enterprise returns to the Report Builder/Manager. The next time you click Edit on the Report Editor, you’ll go right to the Visual FoxPro Report Writer.
6. Test: Your report should now be ready to test. Click the Run button on the Report Builder/Manager to test the report. (You can also run a report by either selecting the report in the list and then pressing the Enter key or by double-clicking on the report in the list.) VPM Enterprise displays the Report Setup dialog. Click the Preview button to view your report. The Report Setup dialog is a front-end for reports that gives users control over the presentation and contents of a report. See Using the Report Setup Dialog for the details on using the Report Setup dialog.
7. If you need to modify the report after testing, click the Editor button on the Report Builder/Manager to display the Report Editor. Click Edit on the Report Editor to open the FoxPro Report Writer and make your modifications.
· You can also edit a report by right-clicking on the report in the list on the Report Builder/Manager. The report will come up in the FoxPro Report Writer, bypassing the Report Editor form.
8. Report Setup Options Dialog: Click the Options button on the Report Editor. VPME displays the Report Setup Options dialog. The Options dialog allows you to customize the VPM Enterprise Report Setup dialog for each report. The next section of this chapter explains how to use the Report Setup Options dialog.
Tip: Be sure to visit the Report Setup Options dialog for each report you create. You need to set up the options to so that the Report Setup dialog works the way you want it to work for each report.