You localizing report and label fonts just like you localize any application font (as described in the preceding section) with the following important requirements:
· Use ID = R: The Use ID you enter into the String and String Translations records for the font you are localizing must be “R” (without the quotes) . The VPME Multilingual string translations engine requires an “R” Use Id for report and label fonts.
· External Reports and Labels: Reports and labels for which you want to localize fonts must not be built into the EXE or APP file, but rather must be distributed as separate files.
· Language Builder (or Language Manager) – Translate – Report Fonts: The Report Fonts check box in the Translate column on the Properties page of the Language Builder or Language Manager must be checked for the languages for which you want to translate report or label fonts. If the Translate – Report Fonts check box is not checked, no report or label fonts will be localized for any reports or labels. See Selecting Application Elements to Translate.
· Report Editor – Turn on Font Translation: Checking the Translate – Report Fonts check box on the Language Builder or Language Manager turns on the ability of a VPME Multilingual application to localize fonts for reports and labels. However, you must then turn on font localization on a report/label by report/label basis. You turn on font localization for a report or label through the Report Editor that you reach from the Report Manager in a VPME Multilingual application.
· To turn on font localization for a report or label, select the report or label on the Report Manager in your application. Click the Editor button. VPME displays the Report Editor. Check the “Translate Report Fonts” check box.
Reports and labels have Fontface and Fontsize fields that contain the name and size of the font to be used when printing a report object. These fields must contain a constant value. Allowing for a variable font that is determined by the language that is being used means that the Fontface and Fontsize fields must contain the values appropriate to that language. VPME Multilingual accomplishes this in the following way:
· Prior to a report or label being run, a copy is made of the FRX and FRT files if a report or the LBX and LBT files if a label.
· The values in the Fontface and Fontsize fields of the copy are then translated and the report or label is run. This requires that the reports and labels not be built into the EXE or APP file, but be distributed as separate files.
The NTRANSLATEREPORTFONTS field in an application’s Language table controls the translation for all reports and labels in an application. This is the field accessed through the Report Fonts check box in the Translate column on the Properties page of the Language Builder or Language Manager.
The NTRANSLATEFONTS field in the reports table SVPMReports.dbf controls the translation of fonts for individual reports and labels. This is the field accessed through “Translate Report Fonts” check box on the Report Editor.