A developer can join a project in either of two ways. The developer can join himself or can be joined by anyone that knows the VSS Username and Password of the developer.
Ø To join a developer to a project
1. Run Visual FoxPro.
2. Select the Join Source Control Project option on the File menu. Visual FoxPro displays the Visual SourceSafe Login dialog
3. On the Visual SourceSafe Login dialog, enter the VSS Username and Password of the developer that is joining the project. Make sure the VSS database that contains the project being joined is selected. Click the OK button. VFP displays the Create local project from SourceSafe dialog.
4. On the Create local project from SourceSafe dialog, select the VSS project to be joined in the SourceSafe project to download list of projects. Then, click the Browse button. VFP displays the Browse Folder dialog.
5. On the Browse Folder dialog you can create or locate a folder that will become the selected VSS project’s Working Folder for the developer that is joining the project. The working folder will normally be on the developer's PC but could be on a network server.
6. When you return to the Create local project from SourceSafe dialog click the OK button. Visual FoxPro displays the Join Source Control Project dialog.
7. On the Join Source Control Project dialog make sure the Visual FoxPro project file for the project being joined is selected and click the OK button.
8. What happens next is that copies of the files in the project being joined are placed in the working folder and sub-folders of the developer joining the project. For each of the sub-folders a dialog will come up with the prompt, “Folder <folder name> not found, create?” Click the Yes button for each occurrence. If the user has not previously joined any other projects, a dialog will be brought up for each file in the VPME project that is located in one of the VPME folders that reads, “Your working folder contains a writable copy of an old version of <file name>.” The options are to leave the file or replace it with the version from VSS. Choose the replace option.
9. The Project Manager will be displayed after the developer's working folders have been populated in the previous step. There is one table that needs to be manually added to the Project Manager. The free table S<Prefix>FCT1 that is located in the data folder that is shared by all users of this project must be added and marked as Included.
10. Exit VFP.
11. The process of joining the project created copies of all but four files in the user’s working folders for this project. Those four files, that are not in the Project Manager and not under source control, must be copied manually from the home folder of the original project to the home folder of the project just created for the user that is joining the project. The files are S<Prefix>FAPD.apd/fpt, S<Prefix>FPJD.pjd/fpt, Main.ini, and MainTemp.ini. Be sure to copy them.