The Language Builder and Language Manager are very similar tools. They both let you manage an application’s languages.
However, the Language Builder and Language Manager have the following important differences:
· Location: The most obvious difference is that you reach the Language Builder from VPM’s Tools menu, and you reach the Language Manager from your application’s Admin menu.
· Adding Languages: When you add a language to an application using the Language Builder, the New Project Message and String Translation template records (if any) for the language are added to the application’s Message and String Translations tables. This doesn’t happen when you add a language to an application using the Language Manager.
Tip – Adding Languages: If you need to add a language to an application and if you have New Project Message and String Translation templates for the language, be sure to use the Language Builder, not the Language Manager, to add the language. The Language Builder will add the New Project Message and String Translation template records to the application’s Message and String Translations tables.
· String Creation – Language Builder: The Language Builder helps you capture the strings in your application and store them in the application’s Strings and String Translations tables. See Language Builder – Create String Records.
Tip – String Creation: Before you can enter translations for the strings in your application, you must create a record in the Strings table for each application string. The Language Builder provides functionality that will help you automatically locate your application’s strings and even create String records for them. The Language Builder will also create String Translations records for each string so that all you have to do is enter the string translations for each language in your application.
· Create Message and String Translations – Language Manager: The Language Manager will create Message and String Translations records for you. See Language Manager – Create Message Translations and Language Manager – Create String Translations.
· View Message and and String Translations – Language Manager: From the Language Manager, you can view the current language’s Message and String Translations.
Knowing the differences between the Language Builder and the Language Manager lets you know when to use one or the other. Now that you know the differences, let’s take a closer look at each tool and the functionality it provides.