To begin a fresh VPM Enterprise application, select New Project on the File menu. VPM Enterprise displays the New Project dialog. Simply fill in this dialog, click OK and VPME will create a starter application.
Important: You need at least 9MB of free space on your hard disk for a new project. Make sure you have enough free space before starting a new application.
Fill in the New Project dialog and VPME will create your starter application.
Ø To fill in the new project dialog
1. Name: Enter the application’s name. Required. May be up to 50 characters. VPM Enterprise displays the application name in the application’s title bar, copyright notice and other appropriate places.
2. ID: Accept the project ID that VPM Enterprise enters for you. VPME assigns a unique ID to each project.
If for some reason you want to use your own ID, you may do so but it must be unique. VPM Enterprise will not allow you to enter a duplicate ID (i.e., an ID assigned to another another project).
3. Version: Enter the application’s version number. May be up to 6 characters.
Tip: You may change the application’s name, ID and version number later by selecting the Identification option on the VPME Options menu.
4. Prefix: Enter up to 3 characters to uniquely identify the application. Required. Select the application prefix with care because there is no easy way to change it later.
VPM Enterprise uses the prefix you enter as the default name of the home directory for the project. Also, VPM Enterprise inserts the prefix in positions two through four of the name of some of the project file it creates during the creation of the starter application so that those files can easily be identified and will remain unique.
5. Directories: Click the Directories button to see the project directories that VPM Enterprise will create for you. Make sure that the project directories have the names you want. See “Project Directories’ below.
6. Languages: Click the Languages button to select the languages that you want in your new application. See New Project in the Multilingual: Creating a Multilingual Application chapter.
When the New Project dialog is set up to your satisfaction, click OK and VPME will begin the creation of your starter application.
Clicking the Directories button displays the New Project Directories dialog. VPM Enterprise automatically fills in names for the directories that will hold the files of the new project you’re about to create.
VPM Enterprise creates directories to hold your project files with the names shown in the New Project Directories dialog. VPM Enterprise uses the application prefix you enter as the name of the Home directory. You may change the names of the directories to anything you like. Click an elipsis (…) button to find an existing local or network directory or path. Each directory must be created. If you blank out the name of a directory, VPM Enterprise will create it anyway with a default name.
If you decide later to change a project’s directories, you can do so by selecting the Directories option on the VPME Options menu when the project is open.
Program Library Directory
The program library directory will be created if it does not already exist. VPM Enterprise creates the program library directory as a subdirectory of your computer’s root directory when you create your first VPME project. VPM Enterprise does not put any project specific files in the program library directory. The program library directory is for your use. Use the program library directory to hold programs or forms that you create and want to share among projects. The program library directory is included in the current FoxPro path whenever any project is open.
When a new project is created, the project’s directories are added to the FoxPro path and stay in the path until you close the project. The FoxPro path always includes the VPME directories, the program library directory and the directories of the open project, if any.