You reach the VPM Enterprise Product Builder menu by clicking Product Builder on the ProMatrix Tools menu. The Product Builder menu leads you through the steps required to create distribution files for your application.
Visual FoxPro allows you to create an .EXE file for your application, and provides the InstallShield Express installer program for creating an application setup routine and distribution files.
Tip: Before using the VPME Product Builder, read about creating .EXE files and using the InstallShield Express installer program in the Visual FoxPro Help file.
Ø To package your application for distribution
1. Menu Cleanup: Cleanup your application's menu. There may be options on the menu that were helpful while you were building and testing your application but which you probably won't want in your final product.
2. Report Cleanup: Cleanup the Report Manager. Remove any reports that you don't want users of your application to access.
3. Run Load Menu Option Table: Run the Load Menu Option Table option on the Security Builder menu one last time to make sure that the Menu Options table includes your latest menu changes.
4. Build EXE: Select the Build EXE option on the Product Builder menu to create an .EXE file for distribution.
5. Directories: Select the Directories option on the Product Builder menu to create the directory structure for your application’s installation. The Directories option also lets you select the files to copy from your application’s project directories to the installation directories.
6. Data Cleanup: Clean up the data files in the installation directories. Some files should be zapped of test records while other files might need to have records created.
7. Run Installer Program: Run InstallShield Express or any other installer program to create your application’s setup routine and distribution files.
The remaining sections of this chapter provide the details on how to run the options on the Product Builder menu to package your application.